Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Raw Dessert: Chocolate Mousse Tarts with Cashew Cream

Happy New Year! Did you make a resolution? I had figured out one of my resolutions in the middle of December. I wanted to eat raw foods for all of Jan. But then I realized that I'll be visiting New Orleans in January, so I was a little behooved since I knew I'd be enjoying the traditional NOLA food (which is far from raw).
 
But then I realized that I could view every day as the start of a new year! Thus, on Dec 26, I started eating my raw foods diet and have been on it every day since (minus one dinner.)
 
It's been so helpful within the past couple of cold days to be eating raw foods. My skin usually gets really dry in the winter, but if I eat my raw foods diet of mainly greens, nuts, and fruits, my skin has no problem (even in this 5 degree weather). Yay!
 
A couple of months ago I discovered a wonderful raw food blog: This Rawesome Vegan Life. You guys should check it out. It contains tons of beautiful food and photography.
 
Anyway, I visited it again this past weekend to find a dessert and voila! I made this tart. I really like its creamy and sweet filling surrounded by a firm crust. Next time I think I would double the crust and mousse recipe and then put it all in a springform pan.
Chocolate Mousse Tarts with Cashew Cream (adapted from This Rawesome Vegan Life)Crust: (Erika's Extras: I would double this and put in a springform pan.)
3/4 cup oats, buckwheat groats or nuts
3/4 cup raisins
1 heaping tablespoon cacao powder
1 tablespoon of raw honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Lemon cashew cream:
1 cup soaked cashews
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 of a banana, sliced
pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Chocolate mousse: (Erika's Extras: I would double this as well.):
1 avocado
1 cup dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons cacao powder
1/2 cup water, more or less as needed
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
 
To make the crust: pulse the oats, buckwheat groats or nuts in a food processor until they turn into crumbs. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until it all sticks together. Press into two lined tart tins and put in the fridge.
To make the cashew cream: blend all the ingredients until smooth. Set in the fridge.
To make the mousse: blend all the ingredients until smooth. Spread into the bottom of your tart crusts and cover with the cashew cream. Put back in the fridge overnight or for at least a couple hours. Dust with cacao and serve!
 
Erika's Extras: Make sure you have soaked cashews (which takes a couple of hours) before you start assembling. Recipe takes about 20 minutes to make and then a couple of hours to set.
Bake well and prosper!

2 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB