Monday, February 25, 2013

Lavender Biscotti with Dried Cherries and Pistachios

Lavender: isn't it lovely? I've wanted to bake with it again but last time I stopped at a farmer's market to pick some baking lavender up they were all out. Then I forgot about it until last week when I passed by a lavender stand in Union Square. I happily whipped up this recipe which I had waiting patiently in the wings (aka my "to make" folder.)
 
It was worth the wait. The slight hint of lavender mixed with lemon zest, dried cherries, and pistachios is a perfect combination.  

Lavender Biscotti with Dried Cherries and Pistachios (adapted from u Try.it)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon dried lavender
Zest of 1/2 a lemon, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup dried cherries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat, set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed, cream the sugar, butter, lavender, lemon zest, and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. Turn mixer to low, add the flour mixture slowly until just combined. Fold in the pistachios and cherries with a rubber spatula.

Slightly flour both hands and transfer the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Form the dough into a log. Approximately 14-inch in length and 3-inch in width. Bake for 35 minutes or until light golden on the edges. Let it cool on a wiring rack for 30 minutes.

Transfer the log onto the cutting board. With a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices. Return biscotti to the same baking sheet, arrange the biscotti cut side down. Bake the biscotti for another 15 minutes or until they are pale golden. Transfer the biscotti to a wiring rack and let them cool completely.
Bake well and prosper! 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for trying the recipe. :) Glad you finally got your hands on the lavender. Your biscottis came out so beautiful. I love cherries too and will definitely make some using cherries instead of cranberries next time. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    I used to think of trying baking with lavender until I saw this particular episode of an Aussie cooking reality series, My Kitchen Rules. The couple was cooking a dessert using lavender and the judges didn't like it saying that it tastes like soap... From that day, I never think of using lavender for cooking or baking again.

    Seeing your pretty Spring-like biscotti, I'm now starting to change my mind...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and delicious sounding! I will definitely try to bake them ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB