Monday, October 18, 2010

Gluten Free Cookies

I can't always be cutesy wootsey. I don't have kids, a dog, a husband, a huge kitchen, or a perfect life. And I'm sure not going to pretend I have a life all neatly packaged with a bow on top. Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing that blogged about constantly. I'm not trying to be the next Betty Crocker or on the next cover of Good Housekeeping. Is there a Messy Housekeeping magazine I can be on instead?

Oh, and did I mention I'm in a bad mood today?

Well, I will try to look on the upside. At least I don't have to eat a gluten free diet. That means I couldn't enjoy this, this, or these. But, if you're a celiac like my friend from the opera I was in this past weekend, there's good news! Yummy gluten free cookies!

This is the first gluten free dessert I've made for a gluten-free eater and I was a little scared when the dough smelled like burnt peanuts after blending in a mixer. Do not fear, they turned out amazing!
Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Nutella Thumbprint Cookies (from bell'alimento)
Ingredients
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg – beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
9 teaspoons Nutella

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer add sugar, peanut butter, egg, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined.
3. Measure approx 1 tablespoon of dough. Roll dough into a ball and place onto cookie sheet. Gently press dough ball down using the palm of your hand. Continue forming balls until dough is gone. Space approx 1″ apart.
4. Bake for approx 8-10 minutes. CAREFULLY remove tray from oven. Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, GENTLY make an indentation in the middle of each cookie. Fill each cookie with a dollop of Nutella. Return tray to oven and continue cooking for 2-4 minutes until golden.
5. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool before enjoying.
Bake well and prosper!

20 comments:

  1. These were awesome! You're cute when you're grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. loved your intro. made me laugh on a monday morning, which is saying a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me laugh! Awesome cookies, I'm copying this recipe and sending it to my celiac sister asap! Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are/were in a bad mood cookie cake. Those cookies look fab.

    Tomorrow, is Tuesday. The happiest day EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies look very delicious...Nutella makes me happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of using Nutella instead of a Kiss. More gooey chocolate in every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were fantastic. I'm craving more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, you made me fall in love again!!! These are just gorgeous!!

    Greets from BFC !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! I'm glad no one took offense to my rant yesterday. Then again, I live in NYC...so what do I care? I mean... ;) Today is a little better (and I brought in a brownie for lunch, so that will make everything great!)
    Bake well and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a beautiful cookie:) i am craving for some now. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I love anything with nutella. I wonder if there is a way to make these with honey or agave rather than sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dawn - I'm sure you could substitute honey for the sugar. That sounds really yummy now that I think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im attempting to make these right now. They're in the oven! (first round). I'm so silly and am used to flattening them with the tines of a fork so I did that... so they wont be as pretty but- who cares, they're just a study snack and will vanish shortly anyways. Thanks for sharing- I don't want to cool them before enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh apparently something went wrong and they are VERY spread out. Well I'm sure they still taste fine- SHOULD have just used my palm perhaps hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some of mine are pretty thin too - I think the egg I used in the second batch was kind of big? That batch was extremely sticky. I just ended up dropping them by spoonfuls because they wouldn't cooperate with being rolled into balls. They came out fine, though. Mine are all a lot thinner than yours, though. I ended up giving up on thumbprints and just drizzling them with Nutella with a plastic bag with a hole in the corner (which gives you better Nutella coverage anyway)! The cookies themselves are great though! No one could believe they didn't have flour in them, and they're so easy to make! They just might be my new PB cookie recipe, whether I'm baking for gluten-free people or not!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lora - I am glad that the cookies tasted great even if they were thin! I really like these cookies too. Hmmm...maybe I should make them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these and they were delicious! I only had a bit of Nutella left, so I used some of my raspberry jam for pb&j cookies! For those who made the cookies that came out thinly: I used crunchy peanut butter, and let the dough stand for 10 min or so. They rolled perfectly! A great recipe....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the imput nhseawidow! I'm glad they turned out well for you. My friend also made these this past week and she raved about them. I'll have to make them again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB