Friday, July 9, 2010

Ireland - Part 4 - Scary Roads and Pretty Flowers

DISCLAIMER: The blogs about Ireland do not have recipes. *GASP*

This is the last post about my trip to Ireland and the dessert I had while there. Aw...stop crying. I know you're sad.

Here's a pretty flower to cheer you up.

That's from the glorious gardens of the Muckross House in Killarney. Of course, to get to this house (or ANYWHERE in Ireland), one must travel the scary roads.

They were very windy and knowing there were steep hills beyond the curves didn't help. Here, have another flower to calm your nerves.

What's that you say? Ah, yes. The roads WERE tiny. In fact, sometimes cars/trucks had to crawl by each other.But sometimes the roads were fun, like when I drove through a tunnel.

And what's consolatory is the fact that pretty flowers grew by the roads. So if you weren't driving, you at least could focus on nature's beauty and not the frightening roads.
When I was in Kilkenny, I stopped at a cute cafe across from Kilkenny Castle, and this dessert caught my eye.
I HAD to ask....what in the world was it?
Gooseberries and custard! I've never had a gooseberry! Of COURSE I had to try it. I mean, look at the weird hairs on it!

The gooseberries were very tart, but in a good way, and the custard evened it out very nicely. If I had access to gooseberries here, I would make this as a perfect lite summer sweet. Yummy!

Bake well and propser!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB