Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ireland - Part 2 - Churches

DISCLAIMER: The blogs about Ireland do not have recipes. *GASP*

Even though the Irish might shy away from this topic, they can't deny that religion has played a huge part in the history of their country. I think it's wonderful that there are so many saints from Ireland and I think it's fascinating and a little disquieting that, when you think about it, quite recently there have been battles and rebellions over religion. (I guess every country has it!)

I went to only a few churches in Ireland. I say only a few because when I was in Italy I felt like I never needed to go to church again since I had been in so many. (However, in Ireland you usually had to pay to get in to the churches which I wasn't a fan of.)

The churches were all very unique.
And their interiors were even more unique! (Ha! You thought I was going to say uniquer!)
I really enjoyed the vibrant colors of the stained glass windows.
When I was growing up, every morning there were donuts at church on Sundays (and if you think I didn't eat more than one with this sweet tooth of mine, think again.) Well, if we had the donuts I found at Walsh's Bakery in Clifden, Ireland, I wouldn't have been a very fat child. They were so amazingly good and so ridiculously fresh!

I spotted them on the counter where I was ordering lunch and even though a small voice in my head said, "Donuts are for breakfast!" the large, operatic voice in my head said, "GET IT!"
I was enjoying it so much that I almost didn't even take time out to take a picture. Here's the lovely bit I saved for a snap of my camera followed by the snap of my mouth.
If you are in Clifden, make sure to stop here and get EVERYTHING. (My mom really enjoyed the flapjacks...some granola bar looking thingy.)
http://www.walshsbakery.com/#
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. I love love love the bakeries in Europe and always check out graveyards and churches when I'm there.

    Looks like a lovely trip.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB