Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sweet (I am)

Right now my boyfriend is running a marathon in NJ while I'm at my same old cafe spot writing this blog. I'm enjoying my omelet, fresh squeezed OJ, and chocolate chip brioche while he's sweating away running 26.2 miles.

For the past couple of weeks he kept asking me when I was going to mention him in my blog. Yep. Today's the day. I know. I'm such a nice girlfriend....pointing out my comfort and his, well, discomfort...

But I really AM a nice girlfriend. I promise. Take yesterday. Chris had to put in one easy and relaxed run to prepare for the marathon. So I told him to run to my place and I would have French Toast prepared. Awwwww! I'm so sweet. (I'm talking about sugar here people. Puhlease....like I'm nice.) ;p

While making the mixture for the French Toast I couldn't help but see something special in some of the steps. For instance, after I added the cinnamon, how cute was this giraffe measuring spoon in the liquid measuring cup?!
And how interesting was the batter when all mixed together!
Speaking of seeing something special in items, a couple of months ago I sent a twitter friend in CA some cookies in a plastic conatiner for her birthday. She wrote me saying that the "dish" I sent the cookies in was great. I was a little confused. Dish? I sent the cookies in a Chinese food to go container. One man's trash is another man's....well, French Toast dish. She said it was the perfect size for dipping French Toast. As I discovered, she's correct!
Chris finally arrived to my place and ate the French Toast faster than fast (just like he runs his marathons.)
Simple French Toast (from the always good allrecipes.com http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Toast-I/Detail.aspx)

Ingredients
6 thick slices bread
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
salt to taste
Directions
Beat together egg, milk, salt, desired spices and vanilla.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle of skillet over medium-high flame.
Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides. Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.

Bake well and prosper!

*** 5/3/10 Update - Chris ran the 85 degree hot and humid marathon in 3:15:27 which is around a 7:27 per mile pace. He place 21st over all and 3rd in his age group. He's a super star (and I'm betting my French Toast was what helped him run so fast!) Check his blog out to read more about his race: http://www.beyonddefeat.com/ ***

10 comments:

  1. GO CHRIS!!!

    I want French Toast. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGSH I LOVE THIS!! Yes, this is the BEST french toast batter dish ever. Don't use anything else. :)

    You are a good girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes you are such a great girlfriend! that breakfast was top notch! thanx for the shout on the blog FINALLY too! i feel famous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can make Eggo French Toast Waffles.

    Takes me like 3-minutes (tops) and I just pour syrup on them right out of the toaster so no messy plates to clean up.

    I guess making them from scratch works too.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron - I'll look into these so called Eggos. ;)
    Baker - If you keep running as fast as you do, you WILL be famous.

    (Proud girlfriend time: He came in 3rd in his age group.) :)

    Ms. V - Um, I love these containers too. I use them all the time. I don't see how ppl just throw them out after they eat their delivery food...but then again I get delivery about once ever 2 months...

    Michelle - I will have to make some cookies soon for a tweetup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 26 miles? Thats amazing!
    And yes, you are sweet daaaaaaahling. How else would you be able to make such delicious looking french toast.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, cute story! Love that li'l giraffe measuring spoon, he's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder he ran home... great looking french toast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB